HOT NEWS! I'm pleased to a announce the launch of a new YouTube channel called "Art of Virtual Flight",
with flight-simulator videos that are somewhat longer and more elaborate than most of the short clips featured in the early entries of this blog. Typically 1-2 mins long, from a number of scenes, with cuts matched to a musical score that I apply. I had edited video professionally for years – so, time to put that skill to good new uses!
A little down the line, I will open the channel to guest submissions; I'll post guidelines as soon as the direction of the channel is more established...
Heading Inland to the North Coast
Having reached the south coast of Dominican Republic after crossing southern Hispaniola in part 4, I turn north and slightly backtrack westward (into Haiti) to reach the north coast of the island, the 2nd largest one in the Caribbean.
For an overview of the journey, including the passage over the large southern lakes covered in part 4,
here's a video from the new YouTube channel:
Bahia de Neiba upon taking off from the town of Barahona, on the southern coast of the Dominican Republic
Pic la Selle is Haiti’s highest peak at 2,680 m (8,800 ft), and is located in Forêts des Pins (“pine forest.”) According to this source, “The surprising smell of fresh pine might motivate you to question whether you are actually in the Caribbean.”
Revisiting Lake Azuéi, first explored in Part 4, just crossing over back into Haiti
Crossing over Haiti's mountains on the way to the north coast (Map source)
Crossing the Montagnes Noires
Over Haitian mountains on the way to the north coast
In the Massif du Nord one finds the Citadelle Laferrière. With 40-meter high walls, it's one of the largest fortresses in the Americas. Built in the early 1800's by 20,000 men (source)
A guard house just outside the Citadelle Laferrière (source)
Also in the Massif du Nord (near the coast) is the Sans-Souci Palace, a 19th century Haitian version of the royal residence of Versailles. Here's a good pictorial article about it. Destroyed by a large earthquake. (source)
Approaching the north coast
The North Coast of Haiti
Finally reached the north coast! Just west of Cap-Haïtien
Rounding the Baie de l'Acul, on the way to land in Cap-Haïtien
[UPDATED APR. 2025] A lot of my friends express amazement at the various festivals I take them to. How do I know about them? Some are obscure and yet absolutely incredible! Well, it has been a process of exploration over the years... All the photos here are casual snapshots or video stills taken by me. BEST FESTIVAL AWARD - The Greek Festival in the Oakland hills This festival brings out happiness, as evidenced by my friend Andrea In May . The awesome views of the Bay from the top of the Oakland hills complement the yummy food, the dance shows, arts, crafts, clothing, jewelry, history, music, architecture, participatory folk dance, etc. The event takes place on a plaza surrounding a Greek Orthodox church; some of it is outdoors, and some indoors. The admission fee is very modest ($6 , or $5 in advance.) The food tends to be a tad better on Saturday; if you go on Sunday, don't wait too late, because many food items run out....
EARLY DRAFT! My long-lasting friends are a diverse bunch, but they all have one thing in common: they all return texts fairly quickly, virtually always. Besides the obvious "being more engaged", is there a deeper meaning? Can the average text response time be used as a predictor of friendship longevity? I'm come to see that the answer appears to be "yes" on both counts. Let me elaborate! First, let's be clear: I'm NOT talking about new acquaintances, i.e. situations where a sluggish response could be - and often is - a sign of lukewarm interest. Here I'm talking about friends or prospective friends past the initial stage , after a connection has been established and it appears to be generally solid. Text-Message Responses Whenever I further investigate chronic substantial delays in responses, it typically appears to point to a personality trait, rather than some dynamics between me and that person - and I hear a lot of " I'm the same wit...
Comments
Post a Comment