Around the World in a (Simulated) Airplane, Part 4 : Crossing Southern Hispaniola from Haiti to the Dominican Republic

See the above region on Google Maps

After our landfall and initial exploration of the western tip of Haiti in part 3, it's time to cross the southern part of Hispaniola, the second largest island in the Caribbean after Cuba; on the west side of the island, where we landed, is the country of Haiti, while the eastern side is occupied by the Dominican Republic.

Hispaniola was the first permanent European settlement in the Americas, founded by Columbus on his voyages in 1492 and 1493.

Large Caribbean islands provide a fantastic mix of tall mountains and a lot of coastline: excellent flight-simulator locations, as far as I'm concerned!  Hispaniola also offers large, gorgeous lakes!


Topographic maps of Haiti:  map 1    map 2

Crossing Over to the South Coast

For starters, I re-cross the western tip of Haiti, this time south-bound.  An excuse to re-visit the very scenic "Pic Macaya" National Park that I first visited in part 3.

About to head inland, southbound from Jeremie (near Haiti's western tip)

Crossing the mountainous peninsula, and coming within sight of the southern coast

The mountainous crossing, southbound, of the western tip of Haiti was so beautiful that I ended up making a 1-min composite of the best video snippets.

There are no airports on the island were I decided to land, but I won't let that stop me – though I don't recommend following my footsteps if you are on a real airplane!  You'll see what I mean at the very end of this short video:

Crossing the western tip of Haiti, southbound  [Music score adapted from "Laya", by Irina]


Tiny Pirate Island

So, I find myself on a little island off the south coast, Île-à-Vache, about 13 km (8 miles) long and 3.2 km (2 miles) wide.

The island was used in the 1600's as a base for operations by captain Henry Morgan, a notorious privateer (a pirate commissioned by a government to attack the country's enemies.)
Actual coastal view of Île-à-Vache  (source)

In search of Captain Morgan's sunken ship, off the southern coast of Haiti  (source)


The Capital : Port-Au-Prince

Time to leave my makeshift landing spot on the little island off the southern coast - and press on towards Haiti's capital Port-Au-Prince.

It's getting late in the afternoon, and I remember that I haven't learned night-time landing yet...  Better step on it!  After following the south coast of Haiti for a little while, I head inland, northbound.

Don't mind me; just using your road as a landing strip!  At a distance, mainland Haiti can be seen

Arriving at the large, beautiful bay around the capital, Port-au-Prince.  You can faintly see the lit landing strip near the center
Photo of that same bay, closer to Port-au-Prince (source)

My first landing at dusk...  It went surprisingly well!




This phase of my journey has marked a remarkable improvement of my landing skills...  I found a meme that captures my feelings when I first started out on the flight simulator:
"Me as a pilot
HOW DO I LAND?"








Musée du Panthéon National Haïtien , Port-Au-Prince (360-degree user-submitted Google Street View : see in in 360-degree view)


Crossing Over into the Dominican Republic

Two stunningly beautiful, large lakes straddle the border of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.  The first one I encounter, traveling east-bound, is Lake Azuéi (aka Etang Saumâtre), and the next one, the larger one, is Lago Enriquillo, a hyper-saline lake that covers 375 km2 (145 mi2)

Looking back, westward, towards the capital of Port-Au-Prince.  The large Lake Azuéi is seen at the bottom.  The small lake in the center is Trou Caiman.  Above it, is the capital, by the bay, and off at a distance, the large Gonâve Island can barely be seen

Shortly after takeoff, leaving the sea behind and flying over the capital, headed towards the large lakes

Climbing towards the Massif de la Selle


Approaching Lake Azuéi, the first large lake, at the border with the Dominican Republic

Flying over the gorgeous Lago Enriquillo, the largest lake

After having completed the inland crossing, now approaching Bahia de Neiba, where I land by the town of Barahona


Flying over the large lakes, and then on the Caribbean Sea, in the final approach to Bahia de Neiba [Music: "Canto xxx" by Emma Shapplin]


24 Km (15 mi) from Barahona, the town I landed in the Dominican Republic, is the lovely Balneario Mata de Maiz  (source)


AIRPORTS:  Jeremie airport, Haiti (MTJE) ;  road on Île-à-Vache (little island in the south of Haiti) ; Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, Toussaint Louverture Airport (MTPP) ; Barahona, by Bahia de Neiba, Dominican Republic, Maria Montez Airport (MDBH)


CONTINUED IN  Part 5 : Northbound Across Hispaniola

Listing of all episodes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My XPlane 11 Flight Simulator Setup & Software

Around the World in a (Simulated) Airplane, Part 5 : Northbound Across Hispaniola

Malta - a Fascinating English-Speaking Island in the Center of the Mediterranean